Sunday, January 12, 2014

Exile and the Watchtower

I built Watchtower four years ago. I had found myself stumbling through the dark, damp alleyways of my soul. Afraid. Weak. Alone. With every step, I seemed unable to evade my inner demons as they taunted; tripping, pulling at me and laughing at me from the shadows with a sinister conviction only the ghosts of children's nightmares can conjure.
I had lost my job, my love, my friends and my self.  If I was to survive, I needed to escape.  I needed to retreat and heal. I had to regain focus. I had work to do.

While I could spin tales of how and why, those are stories for another day. What is important is that somewhere in my partially self imposed exile, I found something. I found that in my singularity, I am strong. I found the Watchtower. 

From my perch, I was able to focus on my amazing career. I was able to focus on a gift I've been given and hone skills most couldn't understand. I found my center. I was able to call upon talents and discovered that these talents can protect and guide others. 

From my place of exile, my fortress in the sky, I can and I do, make the difference. 

Forgive the vagueness. Forgive me for my brevity. It's late and I'm tired. I needed practice.

No comments: